Daily Five Program

Dear Parents,

Here is an overview of what the Daily 5 is.   We are using this structure to encourage greater authentic learning, and  to enable students to grow into independent learners (that are self-directed – skilfully).  This connects with the Sheena Cameron work the students have been following in previous years, particularly BDA questions (before, during and after questions).

Please do ask your child about a strategy that they have learnt or are practising – this is part of their home learning.

Daily 5 is the structure we use to plan our day.  Students will be busy completing meaningful literacy tasks:

• Read to self
  • Work on writing
  • Word Work
  • Listen to reading
  • Read/Share to/with Someone (this includes feedback and feed forward time)

While the students are engaged in their literacy choices, I will be teaching small groups and individuals, so everyone can get the just-in-time instruction they need to reach their potential.

CAFE is what we study during the Daily 5 time. CAFE is an acronym for the four major components of reading:

• C for Comprehension
  • A for Accuracy
  • F for Fluency
  • E for Expanding Vocabulary

Your child will learn reading strategies within each category. These strategies will become tools that help them become better readers and writers. I will keep you informed through this blog page of the new strategies that are introduced to the whole class. You’ll be updated about your child’s individual strategies through discussions during home learning with your child, and if needed via email or a chat – where you can pop in most times of the day. Both of these communications will help you reinforce concepts when you read with your child at home.

If you want more information click on this link: powerpoint for teachers thinking of Daily Five.  Or pop in and make time for a chat.

Thank you for partnering with me. It is going to be a great year (it already is).

Terry Withers

21 thoughts on “Daily Five Program

1. Hi everyone I am having a great time in Austria we have done heaps of awesome things, also in Germany. At the moment we are in Austria, and 1 week ago we went to my mums brother’s wedding and I was the flower girl, and the ring girl, but I think it is meant to be the ring boy. I hope the weather is getting better because I heard there where heaps of storms. Bye!!

• Nice to hear from you Leah – good that you are having lots of fun (doing school work too hehe). Weather is much better at the moment

2. For our own science project is that done as homework or is it like the other inquiry project. Sorry I’m just a little bit confused about the project.

Christian 🙂

3. Miss withers ocean by accidently deleted my memoir so we started it again we are up to page 12 and it is looking really good but we are going to finish it Monday morning.

• that is fabulous, i love the extra effort that you are putting into this – and i am really proud that you manage to work together with a peer to help you succeed. C u Rahina

4. I am sorry that I did my memoir wrong I’m not very confident with computers ocean said she will help me catch up.

• Tu meke, remember to see me before so we know how to help each other. I am glad you are working on the problem. See me ASAP if you are stuck.

5. Mrs Withers, how do you comment on other peoples story’s? Do you write it in your home work book or on the blog or….?

6. Mrs Withers, on the homework page it said put all of the words below into meaningful sentences. Isn’t it meant to say choose three words from below and put them into meaningful sentences or not?

7. Mrs Withers,on the homework page it said put all of these words into meaningful sentences. Isn’t it meant to say choose three words and put them into meaningful sentences or not?